Harbor Picture by Rob Kipp,
Spirit of ’76 Picture by Nick Fader

Go To Search
Notify Me

Town of Marblehead
Abbot Hall
188 Washington Street
Marblehead, MA 01945
Recreation and Parks Department Permit Information

 Please note: One permit per event per day. Also, please be sure to have a weather plan if taking a permit for an outdoor event.

  1. FORMS: All forms may be picked up at the office (Marblehead Community Center, 10 Humphrey Street); most are available for print in the links below.
  2. SUBMITTING: Please submit forms and payments to the office (NO FAXES PLEASE!). PLEASE NOTE: All forms must be completed and signed or they will be returned; please read the applications carefully!
  3. SECURITY DEPOSITS: Due at the time of application for facility and park permits. Please use a check made out to "The Town of Marblehead".
  4. FEES: We accept checks made out to "The Town of Marblehead" or cash (exact amounts appreciated!). Sorry, the Town does not accept credit cards. Payments are due within 2 weeks after approval for facility and park permits; all other fees are due at the time of application. 
  5. INSURANCE: The Town requires proof of liability insurance to approve some permits from an insurance provider of your choice. See the permit applications for more information. 
  6. APPROVAL: Special requests (requests not specified on the application) may need to go before the Board for approval at their next regularly scheduled meeting. Approved permits are kept at the office and copies may be obtained during regular business hours.
  7. RESTRICTIONS: By Law no open fires (bonfires) or alcohol are allowed in any Recreation & Parks properties or facilities.
  8. REFUNDS: Refund requests must be received in writing AT LEAST 1 business week before the scheduled event. Sorry, but we don't give weather refunds as we can't control the weather.

Please print out, read, fill out forms completely, and submit to office.

- Office contact information, hours, and location information
 - Memorial bench information

- Dog Park Rules (Reynolds Playground)

Marblehead Maps


Other information:  

Community Center Facility Application & Agreement
Click on the following to view pictures of rooms (pictures may take a moment to load):
Arts & Crafts Room
Dining room
Game room
- Permits for Community Center weekend events may take up to 5 business days to coordinate approval and/or staffing. All special requests go to the Commission for consideration at their next scheduled meeting.
- Any private event scheduled that is open to public attendence requires insurance.

PLEASE NOTE: The Center is for Town & resident use. Advertising, commercial use (businesses or private camps/programs), and soliciting are prohibited.
Please see the application for fees and other details. Certain permits require insurance. 

Please remember that the Center is a multi - use
facility and more than 1 event may be occurring at the same time.

Park detail request application

Park permit application 

For up to a 3 hour rental of: (Pictures may take a moment to load)
  • Beach Bar-b-que pavilion (seasonal) - 2 grills available in season
  • Garfield pavilion (seasonal) - 2 grills available in season
  • Gerry Playground Picnic area ("Stramski's") - summer - 2 grills available in season
  • Crocker Park Gazebo - Wedding ceremonies
  • Chandler Hovey (Location of Marblehead Lighthouse) - Wedding ceremonies

  • No open fires (bonfires) or alcohol are allowed on any properties under the jurisdiction of Recreation & Parks (Code of the Town of Marblehead § 236-1). 
  • ALL wedding ceremonies & large events (corporate picnics, charity fund raisers, reunions, events open to the public, etc.) require insurance.
  • "Seasonal" permits are for Memorial Day weekend through Labor day weekend
  • The large pavilion at Devereux beach by the bathrooms is for public use; the picnic pavilions can be reserved by permit. 
  • There is no public electricity on any property.
  • Parks can't be closed to the public for private use. 
  • Park Department athletic fields are for Town of Marblehead sports, Town recreation programs, and public use, not for private rentals. 

PLEASE NOTE: Park properties are for Town & resident use. Advertising, commercial use (businesses or private camps/programs), and soliciting are prohibited.

Please see the application for fees and other details. Many events require insurance. 

Please remember that all parks are public property. Your help in keeping our parks clean and safe is always appreciated!

If you have questions regarding the Town's requirements for insurance please call the Selectmen's office: 781-631-0000

PLEASE take adverse weather into account when planning your event.

Float Storage permit:
 Riverhead Beach: Winter storage only.

Space is limited

Pram Rack permits: Good: May 1 - November 1 
RESIDENTS ONLY (Proof of residency required)
Gerry Playground & Riverhead Beach
NEW APPLICANTS: Current permit holders have until the last business day of April to renew, so we will not know what is available until the 1st business day of May each year.

Available at the office 

Orne Garden Permit - Residents only - May to November
This permit reserves a plot in the Orne Community Garden at Bud Orne Playground on Evans Road. Space is very limited and a waiting list is kept each season. Permit holders are responsible for clearing and maintaining their plots. No running water is available.

Available at the office

Hamond Center rental application (Scouts, etc.)

 ALL rentals require insurance
RESIDENT Tennis Permits for Seaside Park tennis courts are no longer required; play is first come first serve.