Harbor Picture by Rob Kipp,
Spirit of ’76 Picture by Nick Fader

Go To Search
Notify Me

Town of Marblehead
Abbot Hall
188 Washington Street
Marblehead, MA 01945
Licenses, Permits & Certificates


Licenses, Permits and Certificates



Dog License




Proof of vaccination against rabies is required by law;  licenses are good for one year. The license renewal period is January 1st through January 31st.  A $50.00 fine will be assessed every 30 days beginning February 1st.
Spayed/neutered dog with spay/neuter certificate

Intact dog (without documentation)

Replacement dog tag



$ 1.00






Marriage Intention and License

A couple must apply together. There is a three day waiting period prior to issuance, which may be waived by a judge.



Copies of Marriage Certificates, Birth Certificates, and Death Certificates

Affidavit & Correction(Vital Records)       

True attest certificates are obtained through the Town Clerk's office. If the request is to be processed by mail a self addressed, stamped envelope must be included.

Any affidavits or corrections that need to be done to  birth, marriage or death certificates.



Business Certificate


Certified Copies


Businesses that are not incorporated must have a business certificate to conduct any business in Massachusetts, as required by state law.  (To incorporate, one goes through a process at the state level). The Town Clerk's office will, with proper identification, provide a business certificate to an applicant. The certificate is valid for four years. 

The Town Clerk's office will, with proper identification amend certain information on a business certificate

The Town Clerk will provide additional certified copies of a business certificate



$ 5.00

Z.B.A. decisions

All decisions rendered by the Zoning Board of Appeals are time-stamped and recorded by our office and maintained in perpetuity.  On or after the 21st day of receipt in our office, we will produce a certified decision for filing at the Registry of Deeds in Salem which then allows the petitioner to obtain a building permit.


$ 0.00

Notary services and Justice of the Peace designation

The staff in the Town Clerk's office is authorized to perform notarial services.  One or more members of the staff have the designation of Justice of the Peace. This allows the office to provide marriage services to the public.


1st signature free
$1.00 each additional signature

Raffle Permits and Auctioneer Licenses

This office is the location where non-profit groups obtain raffle permits and auctioneer licenses. A non-profit organization only may obtain such a permit, prior to undertaking specific fund-raising.



Voter Registration Card

Proof of Residence    


$ 5.00

$ 5.00

Resident Book

Each city and town  in the Commonwealth publishes an annual listing that includes all of the residents who are seventeen years of age or older. The Residents Book may be purchased at the Town Clerk's office.




 Shell Fish Permit                       
  Resident Senior (over 65)
  Non Resident
   $ 5.00