The Health Department offers residents the opportunity to save the Town money and be environmentally-responsible by removing recyclable materials from the waste stream.
Two Ways to Recycle
Items to Recycle Curbside
- Curbside pick-up occurs on the same day as your normal trash pickup.
- Recycling may be disposed of at the Transfer Station by residents who have a Facilities Sticker on their car. Facility Stickers can be purchased at the Transfer Station and at the Treasurer/Collector's Office.
- Curbside recycling is now single-stream
Items to Recycle at the Transfer Station
- The following items can be placed together in a single recycling container:
- Newspapers, magazines and junk mail
- Numbers 1 through 7 plastic (look for markings on the bottom of containers)
- Metal cans
- Glass containers
(no window glass)
- Flattened cardboard no greater than 2 feet by 4 feet square
What Materials Can Be Recycled?
- Recycling at the Transfer Station needs to be separated, including:
- Yard Waste
- Waste Oil
Marblehead recycles multiple materials, including paper, metal, plastics and glass. Please refer to the following to learn what specific products within each category can be recycled.
"A Guide to Recycling in Marblehead"
- Glass, Metal and Plastic Do's and Don'ts
"Tear it, Recycle it"
- Paper Recycling Do's and Don'ts
Blue Recycle Bins and Composters
Both items are available at the Board of Health office. Contact Information and Directions
Please refer to the Fees
page for the costs.
- Latex paint is not a hazardous waste. After using a small amount of cat litter or sawdust to dry out residual wet paint, the latex paint cans can then be disposed of, two at a time, in your regular trash.
- Oil-based paint, stains, waterproofers, sealants, etc. should be disposed of at the annual Household Hazardous Waste Day.
Refrigerators, freezers or air conditioners can be disposed of at Turner Trucking and Salvage on Commercial Street in Lynn (781-595-3741).
Boat Shrink Wrap Recycling Program
Marblehead's Board of Health, Harbormaster's Office and Recycling Committee have teamed up to offer residents recycling for white marine shrink wrap. The Boat Shrink Wrap Recycling information is being updated and will be posted before the next boating seaso