Harbor Picture by Rob Kipp,
Spirit of ’76 Picture by Nick Fader

Go To Search
Notify Me

Town of Marblehead
Abbot Hall
188 Washington Street
Marblehead, MA 01945
Public Records Requests
Kyle Wiley
Records Access Officer

Abbot Hall
188 Washington Street
Marblehead, MA  01945

Fax: 781-631-8571

8 AM - 5 PM
8 AM - 5 PM
8 AM - 6 PM
8 AM - 5 PM
8 AM - 12:30 PM
The Town of Marblehead is committed to open government and aims to improve transparency through increased access to public information. Massachusetts law protects the right to access public information and has long mandated government disclosure of records. The Town fulfills this responsibility to citizens by proactively posting commonly requested documents to its website and by providing access to or copies of public records upon request.

Public records are broadly defined in Massachusetts law. Public records include nearly all documentary materials or data of any form generated, received or maintained by the Town, its employees, boards, committees and commissions. In order to protect certain privacy and security interests, there are certain narrowly defined statutory exemptions prohibiting particular public records, or portions thereof, from disclosure pursuant to G.L.c.4§7. Click here to view the list of public record exemptions.

The following information is offered to guide the public in gaining access to public records in the custody of the Town of Marblehead. The information and lists contained herein are not exhaustive, and any questions or concerns regarding public records should be directed to the Records Access Officer listed in the contact box on this page.

Please click here to be linked to the Secretary of State's website for more information regarding public records law. 

The changes to the Public Records Law are effective January 1, 2017.  Click here to access the full text of the Public Records Access Regulation.

Click here for a one-page summary on how to submit a Public Records Request to the Town of Marblehead.

What Public Records are Available?
Certain commonly requested records are regularly posted to the website for viewing at your convenience. If you wish to access records not found on the website, you may need to submit a Public Records Request Form.

For information regarding Marblehead Public Schools, please visit the School Department's website to obtain contact information for its Record Access Officer.

Below are links to commonly requested records:

Public Meeting Agendas
Public Meeting Minutes
Public Meeting Calendar
Request for Proposals (RFPs)
Annual Town Reports
Town Bylaws
GIS Maps
Birth Certificates
Death Certificates
Marriage Licenses

How Do I Access Public Records?
If you were not able to locate the desired record on the website, you may submit your request by doing one of the following:

1) Download the Public Records Request Form and e-mail, fax, or mail to the Records 
    Access Officer.
2) Go to the Online Public Records Request Form, complete the required information, and 
    submit online.

This form is intended to help you identify the records sought, as well as facilitate an efficient and timely response to your request. You may also submit your request in writing directly to the Records Access Officer. This can be done electronically via e-mail, or by hard copy via USPS mail or in-person delivery at the respective email address or mailing address listed in the contact box on this page (please note office hours in the contact box).

You may request to inspect, copy and/or to receive copies of the requested records. The Town is required to provide copies of records in an electronic format, unless such a format is not available or you cannot receive the records in electronic format.

How Long Will it Take to Receive the Records?
In most cases, you will have the opportunity to inspect the records in the possession of the Town of Marblehead during regular business hours or will receive copies of the records within 10 business days. The computation of time begins with the first business day following the date of transmission (electronic requests) or receipt of your request (mail or in-person requests).

In certain cases, if the nature of the Public Records Request is particularly voluminous or of a highly sensitive nature, it may take longer than 10 business days to provide for an inspection or to transmit copies of the requested records. In these cases, you will receive a preliminary written response notifying you of the intention to provide records at an interval not to exceed 25 days from the initial request. If a request is especially complex, the Town of Marblehead may need to petition the Supervisor of Records for a formal extension beyond 25 days. You will receive a copy of any such petition to the Supervisor of Records.

In rare cases, you may be denied access to certain records due to statutory exemption(s) from disclosure or on the basis of common law privilege, such as that which exists between an attorney and client. You will receive a detailed written notice of any such denial.

If your Public Records Request is not clear or reasonably descriptive, or is unreasonably burdensome, the Records Access Officer will contact you for clarification or potential modification of scope of your Public Records Request. The Town strives to make public information readily available and easily accessible through a prompt and accurate response to Public Records Requests.

There is no fee for the first two hours of time spent producing the requested records, and there is no cost associated with transmitting the records electronically via email, when feasible.  If more than 2 hours of employee time is required to search for, compile, segregate, redact, or reproduce the records, the Town will charge $25.00/hour.  Also, the Town will charge a fee of $0.05 per page for black and white paper copies or computer printouts of public records (includes both single and double-sided sheets).

You will be provided a written, good faith estimate of the cost prior to fulfilling the Public Records Request. Ultimately, the fee shall not exceed the actual cost of fulfilling the Public Records Request, which may include costs associated with printing, photocopying or other form of physical reproduction, postage, data storage devices and employee production time. Any such fee shall be provided prior to fulfillment of the Public Records Request.

If you are aggrieved by a response of the Records Access Officer, or if you believe the Records Access Officer failed to comply with a requirement of 950 CMR 32.00, you may appeal in writing to the Supervisor of Records. Click here to access the Secretary of State's website for more information.