Harbor Picture by Rob Kipp,
Spirit of ’76 Picture by Nick Fader

Go To Search
Notify Me

Town of Marblehead
Abbot Hall
188 Washington Street
Marblehead, MA 01945
Real Estate Transfers
Policy and Process for Transfer of Ownership of Real Estate


Water and sewer accounts are attached to the property and not to the individual property owner(s). When a transfer of ownership occurs the account is not closed; it is transferred into the name of the new owner(s). Any balance owed on the account after the transfer of ownership belongs to the property and therefore is, ultimately, the responsibility of the current owners of the property.

The Water and Sewer Commission will calculate the water and sewer usage from the time of the last billing meter reading until the date of the reading taken for the transfer. A Real Estate Transfer form will be prepared for the seller or seller’s agent that will include the charges for water and sewer used since the last billing (the “unbilled” charges) as well as any balance owed from the previous bill (the “billed” charges). This will be the amount owed by the seller for usage.

The seller or seller’s agent will also receive a blank Real Estate Transfer Confirmation and Payment Remit form. This form must be completed and signed by both the seller(s) and buyer(s) at the closing and returned to the Water and Sewer Commission. THE ACCOUNT WILL REMAIN IN THE SELLER’S NAME(S) UNTIL SUCH TIME AS THE COMPLETED TRANSFER CONFIRMATION FORM AND AMOUNT OWED BY THE SELLER IS RECEIVED BY THE COMMISSION. 


The seller or the seller’s agent shall notify the Water and Sewer Commission office no earlier than 7 days and no later than 48 hours prior to the date of the closing and request a Real Estate Transfer Meter Reading.  (A $25.00 mid-cycle meter reading fee and a $25.00 administrative fee will be added to the amount owed by the seller on the Real Estate Transfer form.) A Water and Sewer Commission meter reader will take an electronic reading of the meter as close to the closing date as possible but no sooner than 72 hours of the closing date. (Any excessive water use between the date of the reading and date of the actual closing would be subject to adjudication between the parties to the transfer.)

A request for a meter reading to be taken within less than 48 hours of the closing will not be honored. A Real Estate Transfer form with a flat charge of $500.00 and a $25.00 administrative fee will be issued and is payable by the seller(s). This $500.00 will be applied to the account and any balance or overpayment will be accrued to the buyer(s).

All Real Estate Transfer Meter Readings must be taken by a Water and Sewer Commission meter reader
. Readings taken by the seller, the seller’s agent or any other party will not be accepted. A Request a Meter Reading form is available on-line or at the water and sewer office.
All information requested on the form should be provided.